torsdag 12 mars 2009

Spirituality

Åland rocks and pines

I received an email recently with this under the signature. I find it disturbing but cannot quite put my finger on what is wrong...

"My premise is that matter is spirit in another light and that the fullest form of spirituality lies within an understanding of the ceaseless creativity of life and the insistent reality of seeking to live in an economic order - or housekeeping mode - that works for everyone and protects the earth. Tho' that is full of theological resonance, I seek to express it in forms that don't let religiosity set us apart from our fellow human beings and other life-forms."

It seems to me that matter is most definitely matter and not spirit in another light, and such a view is implicit in the doctrine of the Incarnation. It does not mean to say that what we apprehend of matter is all that there is to be apprehended "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." (1 Cor 13:12).

I would endorse the part about the need to live in an economic order that works for everyone and protects the earth, but the formulation doesn't feel quite right. As for the need to avoid religiosity, this seems to be another way of saying that it does not matter what one believes in, which cannot be the case since actions arise out of beliefs. If the beliefs are confused or defective, what kind of actions will follow?

Inga kommentarer:

Ultimate net zero lunacy?

The ultimate net zero lunacy is probably de-carbonising and trying to electrify the entire railway system.  In the first place, the railways...