måndag 22 mars 2010

Rail Utilisation Studies

I was looking at some of Network Rail's Rail Utilisation Studies. I was struck by how badly written they are. There are at least two foreign languages I can understand faster and easier. One wonders if the authors themselves are sure about what they are trying to say.

I picked a paragraph at random and edited it. When I had finished, it was easier to read and one-third shorter. That means a lot of paper is being wasted. It also means that the civil servants and other people who have to read them for their job are having to waste time, to say nothing of the general public who want to know about the plans.

The staff responsible for Network Rail's publications should go on a Plain English course.

Inga kommentarer:

Ultimate net zero lunacy?

The ultimate net zero lunacy is probably de-carbonising and trying to electrify the entire railway system.  In the first place, the railways...