lördag 26 juli 2008

UK break-up


Dungeness
Originally uploaded by seadipper

The Scottish National win at Glasgow East piles on the pressure for a referendum which could leave to the break up of the UK. The underlying reasons are economic and cultural. Where would that leave England? I never feel comfortable when I see this flag flying. I am not English. I am British. Though not every one who flies it is a racist or anything like that, the English flag carries a set of values some of which are very ugly. I don't mind the Union Jack but that carries a mixture of connotations including that of fairness and inclusiveness, precisely because it is not the flag of a single country.

I am not really keen on flags, but if I have to pick one, it is faded blue with an off-centre yellow cross. That carries values I am more in tune with. It is the closest thing to an anti-flag.

For a discussion of the economics of the Scottish business, I have written something here

Inga kommentarer:

The Power of Silence by Cardinal Sarah

Cardinal Sarah is the Guinean cardinal who heads the Vatican’s Congregation for Divine Worship. He is also the author of The Power of Silenc...